Team UnLimited Thermo-form Reverse Dovetail Gauntlet
This release contains all the required files to create reverse dovetail thermo-formed gauntlets for e-nable devices and is currently compatible with both Raptor Reloaded and Phoenix hands. Printed in PLA the gauntlet is heated when printed to form a natural, strong gauntlet.
This release also includes the Autodesk Fusion 360 source archive to allow for easier modification and customisation of this gauntlet.
This release contains the following files :-
- V4 Thermo-form gauntlet, this scales at the same size as the e-nable device being produced.
- Forming Jig to allow shaping to be performed without the recipient / without risk of burns to the recipient.
- Several tension boxes :-
- Customised tension box pin that has an internal rounder surface for the Team UnLimited 3 pin adaptive grip system.
Team UnLimbited Thermo-form Reverse Dovetail Advantages
- Significantly stronger than standard printed gauntlet.
- Lighter than standard gauntlet.
- Much faster printing time.
- Allows for a more natural forming shape
- Recipient reported advantages include :-
- Better fitting, more comfortable
- Feels more "connected"
- Improved performance with device, able to create better, stronger grip.
Team UnLimbited Thermo-form Reverse Dovetail Features
- Reverse dovetail to allow for a more natural forming of the gauntlet without distorting the tensioner block interface.
- Dual strap mounts to eliminate the use of wide velcro and the associated comfort problem it creates.
- Use either narrow velcro double sided tape or pre-made velcro straps to secure the gauntlet; both available on eBay etc.
- Crescent Moon front wrist pressure release area to aid with comfort.
- Suggested lining material is Dr Scholl moleskin plus padding roll, if the device is correctly sized and formed then there should be no need for additional foam padding.
- As ever the recipient should wear a prosthetic sock with any e-NABLE device.
Print the Team UnLimited Thermo-form reverse dovetail gauntlet and Jig at the same scale size to the device you are creating; suggested print settings are :-
- .2mm layer height
- 35% infill (honeycomb if avalible)
- 4 top layers
- 4 bottom layers
- 3 perimeters
We have put together the following video to show the method for forming the gauntlet we use, you could also use a hair dryer if you do not wish to use hot water. Please note that the thermo-forming process can be repeated multiple times to gain the desired shape.
SAFETY WARNING :- BOILING WATER IS HOT, IT CAN BURN, BE CAREFUL !
Team UnLimited Thermo-form Gauntlet by Team UnLimited is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.
Based on a work at https://github.com/andreasbastian/e-nableRnD/tree/master/thermoforming/thermogauntlet.
Permissions beyond the scope of this license may be available at http://www.teamunlimbited.org/contact/.